07 September 2008

Go Pats!



Professional football has always been a part of my life. Sundays on the couch with my dad were the norm in my house as a kid growing up, and throwing the pigskin in our conveniently gridiron rectangular shaped backyard was commonplace. I remember my dad teaching me different passing routes, the difference between an out and an in, a post and a slant, a button-hook and a hail mary. He would bring home pick sheets from work and I would make my picks, usually the favorites because they had a better chance of winning.

Though my favorite teams have changed over the years (Giants, Bills, Packers, and now the Patriots), my love for the game hasn't changed over the years.

This time of year has always been my favorite - autumn's coolness replacing the heat of the summer. Schoolyard pickup games on weekends were a great way to get the guys together and flag football was played in PE. Defensive pass rush counts were heard: One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi...

Welcome to the 17 weeks of NFL Football.

PS: Kudos to my fantasy football mate Rob who named his "team 18 and OH NO". I know this Colts fan is snarking on our Pats but it is worth a giggle.

6 comments:

Ted D said...

Stephen, your post brought back alot of memories of playing football and baseball with my buddies growing up.

Admittedly I'm much more of a Sox and baseball fan than 'Skins and football, but it's nice to have the NFL back. I usually can get more excited once October is done.

Nice job, man.

Redbeard76 said...

I know, me too, Sox baseball is my biggest passion, but pro football is my first love, no matter the team. I also played baseball in the yard with my dad, but well after the football.

~**Dawn**~ said...

And just like that, I go on vacation & Tom Brady's season ends before it even gets started. =(

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Are you still about?

Haven't seen you about for a bit.

Hope all is well.

Lois Lane said...

Oh no! Redbeard must have gotten kidnapped with Sparkle and been forced to make dragonfruit pies and leather goods.

OH THE HUMANITY!

Seriously, hope everything is okay at the Redbeard homestead.

Redbeard76 said...

I assure you everything is well, just very busy and I haven't really been in the mindset to do another post lately. I've been sucked into something called Pet Society. I am ashamed. A grown-ass man playing a kids' game. I have no life.

Label Cloud


Powered By:Blogger Widgets