17 January 2009

Adventures in Plumbing: Fountain (for Sparkle Plenty)

So Sparkle Plumby... errr... I mean Plenty... has recently had some plumbing woes with her aunt and friend. This gave me the opportunity to share with some of what I do at work on a daily basis. For the last 4 years I've been employed by a water heater appliance distributor. If there's a complaint about plumbing, I'm pretty sure we've heard all of them.

Personally, I don't deal directly on the phone with customers with what I do, but there's enough of my co-workers around me that do, so I know how much abuse they take from irate customers. But understandably so. No one really thinks about their hot water until it's gone- taking showers, washing hands, clothes and dishes are rather mundane activities but if you can't do any of that, things deteriorate rapidly; so it's our job to try to restore that hot water as quickly as possible and keep our customers satisfied. Of course doing this is costly, which is part of the complaints.

Anyway, when one of our heaters goes bust or isn't up to snuff, they get returned to us. About 10 years ago, this fountain was created with returned tankless heat exchangers. A very out-of-the-box recycling endeavor... I know... water heating is a tankless job... (HAR!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever. In all my years as an Atlanta Plumber I probably could have collected enough to build several fountains. But I never considered it. Perhaps I'll start.

Thanks!

Sparkle Plenty said...

WOW. I love that. Thanks so much for taking the picture, Redbeard*. I think it's really cool-looking.

Question: I can't tell from the photo--does water really come out of it or is it primarily a sculpture?

*What does Vermont look like snow-wise now? Any pix of the landscape?

Kawaii said...

Hiya, good to find your blog again, I've started blogging again and am loving it. I'll be dropping by to see how you're getting on.

Label Cloud


Powered By:Blogger Widgets